Thursday, July 3, 2008

From a Wichita friend

It’s not supposed to be this way. KC is supposed to walk through my door sometime and tell me what’s up in his life.

KC walked through my door in 1998 when he came into the Activities Office to join WSU’s Student Activities Council (SAC). So, I met KC before he drank beer, played in a band, had assorted body modifications or chest hairs! He was a kid.

He had lots of interests, certainly music being one, but he ended up on the SAC Issues Committee which was run by Bob Hines. KC was soon known by most people in the organization. He had tons of energy and charm but ran from serving in a leadership position when he was approached. That was too confining for him. I remember him going nuts at a entertainment buying conference held in Omaha. Bob met his wife there and KC lost his cowboy hat and we went around town looking for one for him.

Besides SAC, KC joined our Crew Team. At that time they were a bit wild and that’s when KC got his first nipple pierced. Many of the crew team had them. I remember him proudly showing it of to me at the WSU gym.

KC moved in the house right next door to me for a short time. It was a tiny, tiny place on Fern Street in Wichita but when Bob needed a place to stay, KC took him in. One night KC came to my door to invite me to an outdoor movie. I went outside to see that he and Bob had set up their tv, sofa and some chairs in their front lawn. Not quite what I was expecting at the time but I know that those who know him would say, makes KC sense!

At some point KC or Bob got a hold of a trampoline that they had set up in their yard. They had a blast with it. KC said that he used to bounce out there naked. I never saw that and luckily neither did the other neighbors. Soon the landlord sold the house and KC moved away.

He didn’t stay enrolled WSU but would occasionally drop through our door to say hi. He was on campus to attend some professor’s lecture he had heard about. He would sit in the back of the classroom, even though he was not enrolled in the class. KC disappeared soon after that.

A couple of years later I went into my favorite Wichita tavern, and there is KC bartending. I didn’t know that he knew anything about liquor considering he was anti-alcohol, and this was a gay bar! As we caught up with each other’s lives (no, he wasn’t gay, yes I am fine) I couldn’t help but stare at his neck. He had some funky thing poking out of his neck. I asked about it and he took off his shirt to show me a huge tattoo on his chest. Problem was that his chest was so hairy now the tattoo was hard to see. I had to laugh. Did he get the tattoo before manhood hit? He also had both nipples pierced now and a few other tattoos, with plans for more. If I remember right, he was designing one of special recognition for his mother. He worshipped her and wanted to have a special representation of her on his body.

He was well loved at the bar of course. I enjoyed being able to drop in and see him again. He was getting into music quite a bit more. Just as before, he just disappeared, only this time he left Wichita.

Late one night I was home and there was a knock on my door. It looked like some scary skin-head looking guy. It was KC! Although he looked rough, once he opened his mouth, it was the same compassionate, loving, crazy “kid”, just older looking. He was back in town after fighting fires out west. He talked about his music and that he wasn’t sure what he was going to do with his interest in it. He didn’t seem to have a clear idea of where he wanted to go but he sure loved the excitement of fighting fires. We talked for hours. I was sad to see him go when he left but I knew that our paths would cross again. There was not doubt in my mind. That was the last time I saw him. It wasn’t supposed to be.

He was supposed to walk through my door sometime and update me on his music. That he was playing in a band and doing some recording. He would tell me about the love of his life and tell me how much he loved his mother and how she was doing. He would ask me about how I was doing and REALLY ask, not just small talk. Although I have not seen him in a couple of years, I feel such pain at the loss of a free-spirit. I haven’t cried this hard in a long time. Reading this blog, hearing his music, seeing what great friends he has, I am so proud that I had him in my life. I have worked with thousands of students at WSU. KC really touched my life, as he did so many others. We are all lucky to have had KC come through our door!

Michael Madecky
WSU Activities Director and honored friend of KC

No comments: