Sunday, July 6, 2008

several things I've been thinking about.

I first ran into KC at the Working Bikes Co-Operative, where we both happened to be shopping. KC was building a bike for some friend of his, collecting old cruiser parts from around the warehouse with a plan in mind for everything. No wasted money, no fancy parts, just reliable stuff that nobody else really wanted. I wish I could say the same. A few weeks later, KC came into Rapid Transit looking for a job. I hadn't really talked to him at Working Bikes and didn't really recognize him when he came into the shop. He seemed nice, wasn't the fastest builder we've ever had apply, but he stuck it out until he got it right. It took us WAY too long to hire him. I don't remember what it was that was going on, but he put up with a LOT of waiting to work with us. I really regret not getting him in right away. KC was never the speed champion of assembly because he always took the time to do it right. His bike knowledge was limited when he came in, but he came in with a thirst for knowledge and a willingness to ask questions that quickly made him the best assembler I've worked with. I had lots of hopes for KC at the bike shop. I wish I could tell him about them. I know he had lots of frustrations at the bike shop, and I REALLY wish I had paid more attention and helped work them out more.

When I think of what happened to KC, it seems so unfair. It's not like he was doing something he thought of as dangerous, I'm sure he had done it many times. When I think about how I think KC would view it though, my perspective kinda changes. He died from something he was responsible for, not from someone else's carelessness or recklessness. I think he'd rather have it that way.

I'm not sure he really knew how many people really loved him, I guess none of us do, but the outpouring of support from all of you to everyone involved has really blown my mind. I can't even begin to tell you how much it's meant to me to watch everyone come together like this.

So, I've made new friends through this, gotten to know other friends better, cried a bit, which I think everyone needs at least once in a while, I'm aware there are positives in this, but MAN! What a drag it is not having KC around.

I know it may sound cheesy, as the truth often does, but those of us who are still here should really be making sure we're taking care of each other the way he took care of us. If there's something I can do for you, come to Rapid Transit and let me know. My name is Sam, and I'd love to give back some of what all of you have given to me in these very hard times.

No comments: